Monday, February 28, 2011

My Writting Process

The first step would be a thoughtful decision based on weather to discuss and anaylse a motif, symbol, or foreshadowing, and how that enhances the underlying theme of the novel. 

Here it goes:

Step 1: Go through the annotations and then separately take notes of relevant page numbers that involve usage of my chosen motif. I would also scan briefly the novel to revisit the gist of the story and try to find any references that I had missed first time around.

Step 2: I would think and start writing an introduction which would explain my aims for this essay which would also help to clear my thoughts. I would write a clear thesis statement

Step 3: I would then do a literature search on any background information that could substantiate my ideas and thoughts. Any information I can use would be printed and highlighted so I can refer to these for easy reference.

Step 4: I would plan the overall body of the essay, in terms of how I will tackle my arguments, the number of paragraphs and their individual topic and how one topic will lead to another in a smooth and relevant non random flow. 

Step 5: Now that I made my master plan I would now go back to my annotated notes, page numbers, quotes and research and for each paragraph make a list of where to find my material.

Step 6: I would begin writing my first paragraph starting with a topic sentence, which will flow into my points, adding quotes and own thoughts and researched proof and finally ending with a closing sentence that will lead to paragraph 2

Step 7: Step 6 will be repeated for each paragraph and I will cross out manually all page numbers etc that I have used earlier to prevent confusion, an over excess of information and repetition.

Step 8: I have finally reached the conclusion which will repeat my thesis and summarize my main body points. I will then think of a smart closer that the reader can chew on and end with a title for the essay.

Step 9: Read the overall essay several times looking at ways to improve my word choice, sentence structure and ideas of the first draft.

Step 10: Re write changes and repeat step 9 until a level of satisfaction has been reached.

Step 11: Go through the essay again this time looking for spelling mistakes, grammar, punctuation and repeat of word usage and sentence length. It would help to read it aloud at this point.

Step 12: Ask my peer to read and proof read and final edit if need be.

Step 13: Type out my final draft, save and print a hard copy and submit.

Step 14: Relax and celebrate great success, and pray to get a good grade!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sabrina! Overall I think that your essay plan is quite complete and covers a lot of what I would also do when writing an essay. What I found interesting and new for me was the way you search and then analyze your literature search and background information, since it is sometimes very useful to understand other people’s point of view and of course some context of the novel. Your 5th step (master plan) also sounds like a quite effective way to organize all of your ideas, evidence, discussion, etc, and I would probably adopt it sometime.
    However, I think it is important to revise the thesis statement, introduction and conclusion separately from the body paragraphs, specially the thesis statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure that after you write your paragraphs separately, to connect them so the entire essay flows.

    ReplyDelete