Sunday, May 22, 2011

Blog Portfolio # 4 May 2011

The new age art of communicating with the world at large, courtesy of modern technology-welcome to the world of blogging. The quote by Robert Niles says it all, “Anytime you post online, you publish.” How apt, as each entry I have made floats in cyber space for eternity for infinite number of people today and tomorrow to chew on. Each blog I have made is actually a voyeuristic view into my innermost, private thoughts. The beauty of my blogs is that no planning is involved as in an essay or research project. No, just as I write this introduction, my blogs are an instant knee jerk reaction to writings that affect my psyche in some way. Each thought expressed starts in the deepest most folds of cerebral hemisphere as a nerve signal that extends to my fingers that move to keep up with my tandem physiological and psychological thought process. It is not a written piece of work in the true sense of the word, like an article or novel but is a conversation that invites debate, and discussion. It is not easy to choose what is termed as my best blogs, as honestly as each blog takes shape in my mind, I feel an attachment to it. Would a mother be able to choose among her children? Each blog is more than just a creation born of a seed in my brain, it is a glimpse into my soul. Each blog says, I have a voice, I matter, and I have spoken

Coverage

Look’s Who’s Talking

http://sabrina117english.blogspot.com/2011/05/look-whos-talking.html

Honey’s Love

http://sabrina117english.blogspot.com/2011/05/honeys-love.html

The Harlem Dancer

http://sabrina117english.blogspot.com/2011/05/harlem-dancer.html

What If This Were My Final – Old Pond

http://sabrina117english.blogspot.com/2011/05/what-if-this-were-my-final-part-1.html

Wanda Why Aren’t You Dead

http://sabrina117english.blogspot.com/2011/05/wanda-why-arent-you-dead.html

Wild Card – When One Door Closes, Another Opens

http://sabrina117english.blogspot.com/2011/05/when-one-door-closes-another-opens.html

Depth

The Harlem Dancer

My Informal commentary on the Harlem Dancer shows an in depth analysis that researches and reflects on present day dealings as reported in the media. And while no specific articles are referenced, I felt this was un-necessary as an overall general comment on the state of affairs was required rather than endless examples that would simply confuse my message. My musings also show my own thoughts based on what I have read or seen in films about prostitutes or strippers. This is quite a provocative piece as the subject matter is almost taboo and hardly discussed in society. We readily dismiss bar dancers as ladies of little repute without stopping to think if circumstances and little choice of alternatives made them part of a profession they neither like or are proud of.

http://sabrina117english.blogspot.com/2011/05/harlem-dancer.html

Interaction

Asim Lal’s Exactly 500 Words. Great Success

“More importantly, it is used to show Wanda’s inability to be happy with her situation. Because she is not as perfect as she feels she could be, or as perfect as society mandates, she beats herself up in a mental battle in which her pessimistic side will always win. This poem represents a problem that we all face. We need to stop getting angry if we do not meet expectations. Be happy.” While Asim has great philosophy to live by I asked questions to him in order to interact further with his thoughts. I wanted to point out that sometimes we need to acknowledge and have others also acknowledge that life is not always perfect. Rather, than just accept our lot we actually need to be angry. When we are angry at our circumstance and our life it is a form of self therapy. From this in the same way a alcoholic admits to it can we actually turn our life around. Don’t worry be happy is not always the answer but causes our acceptance of our situation with no reason for change.

http://asimlikesenglish.blogspot.com/2011/05/exactly-500-words-great-success.html?showComment=1306074013040#c6410249328311778664

Discussion

Wanda Why Aren’t You Dead

The post on the poem Wanda created a domino effect on discussion. I guess the poem is not clear cut and is open to interpretation which inspired people to say yes that’s how I felt upon reading this or to politely disagree and put in their point of view. The poem is also highly evocative from the title which is shocking in itself and controversy is always exciting to respond to. After all the title is a question and begs for a response and discussion.

http://sabrina117english.blogspot.com/2011/05/wanda-why-arent-you-dead.html

XenoBlogging

The Comment Primo

While Ash’s analysis on the poem was well written and interpreted and also the three literary devices were well chosen and explained, i felt some key elements were overlooked. I decided to make the comment primo in order to point out these so that it can become an overall part of the discussion and add to the analysis. Sometimes we make analysis and interpretations but when a poem which is open to free expression and thinking gives us clues to the background and mindset of the poet we need to acknowledge this or clearly state our opinion.

http://aishwarya-srivastava.blogspot.com/2011/05/wanda-why-arent-you-dead-by-wanda.html?showComment=1305818697866#c5989072818291809120

The Comment Grande

I chose Julie’s blog to give a comment grande as I liked the way she had taken a very difficult to interpret essay on language and had focused on some simple but thought provoking ideas. Her tangent on being special though drifting from the original essay made my own mind wander and inspired me to give a thoughtful response.

http://iloveenglishmorethananyone.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/no-such-thing-as-absolute/

The Link Gracious

My Wild Card Blog, When One Door Closes, Another Opens, was inspired and sparked by Julie’s blog Time Flies. Being so busy with wrapping up the year, and desperately just trying to finish off my endless IB homework not to mention those dreaded finals, I never took the time to consider the year ending. Julie reminded me that 11th grade is about to come to a close and this made me think how I feel about this and more importantly made me stop and consider what my feeling will be this time next year. These thoughts inspired me to write my wild card post.

http://sabrina117english.blogspot.com/2011/05/when-one-door-closes-another-opens.html

http://iloveenglishmorethananyone.wordpress.com/2011/05/17/time-flies/

Wild Card

When One Door Closes, Another Opens

Julie’s blog As time Flies inspired this point as I simply extended my thoughts from a localized personal response to a grander more general scale. We are all on a train journey desperately trying to reach our end destination. But as we close one chapter of our life and in effect get off the train we wait at the station to board the next train. Life is indeed a journey! I hope this blog relieves some of the sadness of endings, as endings signify a new beginning, a new chapter in our lives. The story is not finished yet…..

http://sabrina117english.blogspot.com/2011/05/when-one-door-closes-another-opens.html

No comments:

Post a Comment