Thursday, May 12, 2011

Wanda Why Aren't You Dead

At first glance, upon reading this poem the reader gets the impression that someone is reprimanding a black, woman of low social standing. This person could be her mother, boyfriend or a rejected suitor. However, since the poet herself is Wanda and through,
tone, diction and structure we may assume that Wanda is speaking to herself.

The tone of the poem is scolding and insulting. This single black woman, “being black” who has a poor standard of living, “why ain’t you rich: and “can’t you afford to move out of this hell hole”, is having a hard time to raise her children, “ready made family” under slum like conditions. She may have been abandoned by the father and is being judged by society. Being black is a discrepancy in itself, add to this the stigma of being a single parent and to top it all being fat and perhaps unattractive puts the icing on the cake as far as societies pre conceived notions and prejudices.. It is possible she is repeating in head the insults she hears repeatedly from her former lover or mother or due to her frustrations is beating her own self up. All in all she wonders why she is not dead under these horrifying conditions of hardship and self loathing and revulsion.

The diction which has bad English shows that she is from a low family background and has received little education. The use of “ain’t,” “gonna,” and “you joking girl” show local colloquialisms of her community. Word usage to insult her feet, “how come your feet are so goddam big,” may be further proof that she herself and not a third party is looking at her own body and has full view of her feet. It is interesting that she has chosen the word usage” black” but does not enter into any racial slurs but tells us that being black has its own way of life “what is it like being black”. She does not like black men revealing her own prejudices or bias due to past experience. She has removed herself from herself and is looking at herself almost in a mirror, “if I were you”.

The structure of the poem is revealing to the story being told. Wanda and I is never capitalized. Of course this could be due to lack of education. However, more profoundly, it shows that she sees herself in a self demeaning manner and feels she is not at a level to be given importance or respect. The poem lacks punctuation to give it a sing song conversation and the lack of a question mark means she does not require any answers, it is a statement not a question. Repetitions, “were you” and “that” may not be stammering but reinforcement and confusion. The spacing at the end shows her thoughts are fading but emphasis on “ALWAYS” protrays anger.

7 comments:

  1. Comment by Pooja

    Hi Sabrina,

    I really enjoyed reading your commentary and I thought youmade some good connections. Your introduction was clear, for it stated what thepoem was about. However, you forgot to mention in your introduction the aspectsof the poem you are discussing. Although it becomes clear in your commentarythat you are discussing tone diction and structure, you need a thesis statementthat says which aspects you are going to be studying and its affect on thepoem.

    Your structure was quite clear and effective as each of yourstanzas discuss one literary aspect regarding the poem. There is not muchcorrelation between the three aspects that you discuss; however, I feel thatthis could actually improve the clarity of your analysis, for the three aspectsyou discuss are distinct and have their own effect on the poem. Withcommentaries, aspects normally overlap, but you did a good job of separatingthem with your paragraphs.

    Your use of text was good as you included many embeddedquotations. Your examples weren’t too long and they related well to youranalysis. You analysis went very in-depth, especially in the statement thatthis poem depicts a mental argument between Wanda and herself. I really likedyou analysis and I feel that you showed a good understanding of the poem withyour interpretations.

    You don’t directly discuss diction in this commentary, butyou do comment on the language used by Coleman, and its effect on the poem. Thelanguage you used in the commentary was clear and understandable as well, for Idid not have a tough time understanding the points you were trying to make.Overall, this was a very good commentary with clear analysis andinterpretation. I wish you would have made a clearer thesis, and possibly addeda conclusion, other than that, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment by Julie

    1.Sabrina thinks that, in the poem, Wanda is speaking to herself. She is focusing on tone, diction, and structure.

    2. She has an introduction and three body paragrphs that support her thesis. I think conclusion that summarizes the her idea would have made the commentary better. In the body paragraph, I think she could have followed more of VIP structure.

    3.She uses texts effectively by picking out parts that are relevant to her point. After that she has her interpretations. Overall, I think it is pretty solid, but I think it can be further developed and be more indepth. She makes some assumptions that may be true but has to be supported more.

    4. I think she should stop speaking hypothetically. She should be more firm in her opinion. I think that would help the commentary better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pooja,

    Thanks for your appreciation and constructive criticism. Actually I was not trying for the formal essay approach with a well defined thesis and conclusion. Though I have mentioned the three literary devices I will be using in my first paragraph. I had decided to tackle this as a blog with a freestyle commentary of my thoughts. Therefore, no rough draft was constructed with a formal structure. I think the hardest part was choosing the three literary devices from the commentary wheel and of course interpreting the poem. Also, I think it is difficult not to have embedded text merge as any time two literary devices can be tackled. Therefore choosing quotes to analyze that met my criteria but not repeating that same quote for another device was imperative. What do you think is the hardest part of tackling this poem? What did you mean specifically when you said that I hadn’t handled the diction part effectively?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Julie,

    As with my comments to Pooja, I was trying to go for the informal commentary approach rather than the formal essay format. Though, perhaps a conclusion would have brought all my points together in the reader’s mind. As far as your comment, that I need to be less hypothetical and more firm in my opinion. Well I guess when you are making an interpretation you can never really be sure if you are correct in your analysis and you don’t want to step in the toes of the poet. I mean I felt after reading this poem several times that my first impression was wrong and that Wanda was in fact speaking to herself. A lot of this is subjective opinion without real concrete proof so I guess I tread carefully in my word usage without being definite. It is a theory but has not been proved as law.
    Would you still be definite even when there is room for doubt in your mind? I guess lawyers would. Do you think firm opinion is a form of arrogance that refuses to acknowledge the other person’s point of view or confidence that can convince others you are correct in your analysis?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess you're right. But since, as far as this goes, we are allowed to have our own interpretations, so I think it is better to be confident in our ideas. I think I do similar thing that you do in my commentaries too actually =)

    But since we are free to interpret things in our own way, I think it is better to be confident in them and support them the best we can with the literary techniques in the commentary wheel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Julie, i just posted a comment on your Language blog and this inspires me to again comment on our individual responses. I agree,we all read the same piece of text but we do not put down our ideas parrot fashion. We are not sheep blindly following though we are often influenced. Our ideas and thoughts if left alone, are unique and makes us special as individuals. We all react differently to a piece we have read. Some are moved others are unaffected. We all have opinions and should be confident about our responses while keeping an open mind. We should be prepared to listen to others point of view and discuss and agree or agree to disagree.

    ReplyDelete